Wednesday, August 29, 2012

70%

 There were 2 big pre surgical tests this week. I'm very happy to report that the news was very encouraging from both of them.
  On Monday, I went in for a catscan and it was discovered that the inflammation around the tumor area was down considerably, and that there was still no evidence of any distant spreading, or "metastases" (in medical terms) of the cancer. 
 Next up, today I met with my surgeon, Dr. Stricker, who is scheduled to perform a "Lower Anterior Resection", in which a significant part of my colon will be removed. He "got all up in there" with his trusty scope and after a..ahem...thorough examination, informed me that it appeared  the tumor had shrunk a staggering 70%!..though to be truthful, he didn't use the word "staggering". I however will go on to use the word "staggering" as much as possible when describing this. Needless to say, Carrie and I were thrilled to hear this news. In Dr. Stricker's words, this "sets us up very nicely" for the surgical procedure. As we were leaving his office, he let us know with a big smile that he was very pleased with this result. We were of course very happy to hear that coming from him. :)
 It may sound strange, but going into these 2 tests, I had barely a shred of worry. I have felt so healthy and strong from my dietary and lifestyle changes that it was like I ALREADY KNEW there had been a major reversal in the condition. Of course, getting the hard, quantifiable data was very reassuring, and definitely needed.
 So September 7th is the big day. I will most likely remain in the hospital for about a week following the procedure, and then ease my way back into civilian life. I know there are some challenges awaiting me, but I feel more ready than ever to face them. 
 More to come soon..


3 comments:

  1. This is such great news, Michael. Glad these good results are helping you keep the faith with the life style changes. Fire up the burners! . . . more good cooking to come before day zero and after. I love you so much,
    Mumsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah Mon!!! I'm so happy to hear this! Not that there was ever a doubt... Rock On!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ELATION! Fantastic News Mike WOOOO!!! 70% NICE uppercut to that Cancer MAN!! Don't let up Mike it's time for the K.O
    Janette and I are pretty excited the Diet has helped you out so much. Continue to keep the fire burning for eating healthier and enjoying the simple little things in life keeping you happy

    Hugs Crid & Janette

    ReplyDelete