Tuesday, June 12, 2012

chemo and radiation week 2

 Thus far the side effects have been almost non-existent. There has been a little irritation from the radiation but liberal application of a special radiation lotion has helped a lot.
 One very sweet silver lining so far (of many) is how I am now back in touch with so many friends that I had been out of touch with for awhile. It feels gratifying to be talking to someone who fears that I'm probably really down and depressed, and to share that I'm actually feeling strong and positive.
 I'd be remiss not to mention that my wonderful mom Deborah Bluestein (who beat breast cancer 30 years ago!) has come out from Boston to stay with Carrie and me for awhile and we're cooking up a storm together..well she's doing the majority of the cooking and I'm helping :) among many of the staples: miso soup, brown rice (done in a pressure cooker) with gomashio (mashed sesame seeds with sea salt), lots of steamed greens (kale, broccoli, baby bok choy) prepared simply with lemon and sea salt, lemon sesame miso tahini dressing for the veggies and salads (amazingly tasty for such a healthy low fat item), steel cut oats with berries (antioxidant gems) for breakfast, and many more..you get the picture. We'll definitely be expanding this palette as we move forward.
 Oh! and it looks like I'll very likely be doing some Foreigner gigs in August. Chemo and radiation ends July 12, and I figure I'll give myself a couple of weeks to recover (just in case I'm worn out from it). But I'm super psyched about the very good possibility of being out with the boys doin' some rockin!
 Thanks for tuning in and be back soon..

MB

4 comments:

  1. I am happy that you are getting support from your family i was worried about you thanks for keeping me updated sending much love to you and your family Jo x do get strong before you tour again

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps i am so happy your mum survived breast cancer i am still hoping to achieve some charity work for funding for a local hospital x

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB, glad to hear things are going well, and that you'll be getting back out on the road. RS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news - attitude is everything.
    all our love
    R&F

    ReplyDelete